Friday, August 16, 2013

[REVIEW] The Age of Miracles

Title: The Age of Miracles
Author: Karen Thompson Walker
Publisher: Random House
ISBN-10: 0812992970
ISBN-13: 9780812992977
Number of Pages: 373
Release Date: June 26, 2012

Blurb: On an ordinary Saturday, Julia awakes to discover that something has happened to the rotation of the earth. The days and nights are growing longer and longer, gravity is affected, the birds, the tides, human behavior and cosmic rhythms are thrown into disarray. In a world of danger and loss, Julia faces surprising developments in herself, and her personal world—divisions widening between her parents, strange behavior by Hannah and other friends, the vulnerability of first love, a sense of isolation, and a rebellious new strength. 

Review: Much like adolescence can feel, I'm having mixed feelings about this book.

I've always liked to read about people who...develop, I guess you could say, throughout a story. And an "end of the world" story combined with a main character who goes through adolescence does give room for a lot of development.

I didn't get as much character development as I would like, leaving me feeling a bit underwhelmed. What made me go on, though was the language. It's beautiful and very visual. The consequences of the "slowing," the change in the earth's rotation, seemed quite probable to me. Unfortunately, the ending felt rushed and just plain*blah*. There were parts of the story line that just felt abandoned at the end of the book, that I would have liked to see more of a conclusion to.

Rating: 3 bookshelves out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment